A Coastal Development Permit is required for any project in the coastal zone as defined on official zoning maps. In general, this includes any property west of highway 5. Depending on where your project is located, you this review may be handled by your city, the coastal commission or both. The process can be lengthy and costly, depending on the project. However, there are exemptions available. If you think your property may be in the coastal zone, be sure to consult with your Architect prior to making any decisions.